01 October 2005

The Insane Genius


I recently finished watching the film "A Beautiful Mind" ,the story of Nobel Prize winner John Nash, and had a thought cross my mind which I wanted to put out for others to consider. I'd like to preface my question however, by saying that I did like the movie, some serious blasphemy could have been negated, but nevertheless the story was intriguing, not to mention that the musical score carried me to the moon. God bless James Horner, he takes me places no man ever has. But I digress. The question that struck me was this: Is there a correlation between natural genius and insanity?
Pondering upon this question, I have to say I believe the barrier that separates the former from the latter is not fortuitous. To be able to work up theories and mathematical equations which run volumes long requires a certain kind of cerebral madness which boarders upon insanity. Don't misunderstand this point; I do not mean to say that all men of genius are mad, but that they have great potential for madness if they do not recreate their minds upon the simple and mundane or if they do not live in the state of sanctifying grace. Leaving anything that complex to itself can only end in destructive madness, save through the grace of God.(My thanks to Claudio Salvucci for clarifying this point).
But there also exists another point to consider. Imagine possessing the kind of mind that sees mathematical figures in all that is seen or in getting pleasure by doing nothing but solving problems, be they in "Myst" video games, 30,000 piece puzzles or looking at Time Life magazines to decode Russian threats regarding national annihilation (this is a reference to John Nash). This sort of mind if left alone would probably stay at any of these puzzles for hours on end. I know this to be true because I knew someone who stayed awake for 24 hours to complete the above mentioned video game. What is the remedy then to this man one may wonder? What could help him?Some might say he could use a drink maybe even two drinks, but I propose he aspire towards the often forgotten virtue of simplicity.
Simplicity is a virtue which this type of man should study. It makes one reflect on life without all the complexities and lightens the mind and heart by setting it upon that which is sometimes not seen by those men of genius, namely the beauty of life and of wonder it contains. If I had John Nash here with me tonight, I'd offer him a concept which I think would throw his mind into a tangled web of confusion, forcing him to wrestle with himself until he came my conclusion. This concept is a divine paradox, if you will, a great mystery to all men. God is perfect simplicity and absolute knowledge. Now go think...
The sad thing about the situation with John Nash is that I know someone who knew a man very much like him; not in his personality but in his mentality. He was a man so brilliant that you would swear everything he said was dogma. His mind was as fine as a sharpened sword and just as deadly. He would analyze and deduce every action you'd make, every word you'd say and then expect you to tell him why you said something or did something or didn't do or say something and how all of this meant something else which you never intended. Knowing this man for many years, this girl suffered terribly and has ever since. Her mind has fought to no longer live in his world of insanity which he convinced her was the only reality with all else being a lie. What would she say if she was asked this question of the insane genius? I wonder...
So who's to say there isn't a correlation between genius and insanity? Should any man dare say otherwise, I would challenge him with this... try asking what it's like for those living with such people. Or better, try living with such a person for yourself and see if you don't come to embrace my theory that the minds of the genius and insane are as close as night is to day at sunrise. For unless a genius be of impeccable virtue, he will end his days in mindless riddles which will lead him to no good end, and he'll only make others want to dissect their own minds to see if maybe they've lost their own through his.
Be thought-full but remember to KISS, keep it simple stupid!
Nota Bene...John Nash also suffered from severe schizophrenia which I believe was a case of diabolic possession, but that's a whole different topic which I do not have the time to discuss. Until then... Ciao!

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Who are you people? Do I get nothing but commercial advertisers here?

D.S. said...

Hello, I will leave you a non-advertisement comment.

I happen to be both genius and insane.

At the moment, I am digressing from my task of preparing a presentation in Mathematical Representation Theory (to verify that I am perhaps intelligent).

Additionally, I routinely deal with evil spirits and government conspiracies (to verify that I am perhaps insane also).

I will say that in my experience, there is most definitely a correlation between insanity and genius, and a very fine-line between the two.

One could perhaps say that the main distinction is the ability, up to sociopathy, of effective communication with non-imaginary humans.

However, if you have had the extreme pleasure of meeting John Nash, you will see that the man has great difficulty in communicating, however his genius is real, n.t.m. powerful, so I believe that this distinction is void.

Genius and insanity are really just labels... often given in shades of agree-ability. One moment, I am a genius, and well received/rarely understood. Other times, I am insane, and my realizations are callously ignored, and misunderstood.

:'(

Here is Conclusion: I'm insane when I'm Tripping Balls, and genius when I can put that stuff down on paper!

Anonymous said...

How interesting! Your perspective is deep and uniquely flavored. But is "simplicity and absolute knowledge" really a paradox? ;)